Fedora vs CentOS -- php/apache and Drupal 7

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 17 02:48:34 UTC 2013

On 04/16/2013 08:44 PM, Roger wrote:
<>

> Thank you to all for the very helpful info.
> I have CentOS-6.4-x86_64-minimal.iso downloaded.

why are you wanting to use centos?

> My laptop on which I'll do the first install does not have a functioning
> dvd drive so it has to be usb install.

which is why many distros are now including a live usb creator.

i would not doubt if we start seeing *-usb.iso, or some other naming
to indicate it is for usb installation. maybe even *.usb. ;-)

> All the info I'm reading says I have to reformat my usb to a fat system,
> why? Is there any reason CentOS doesn't use ext formatting?

maintain compatibility with old oos and mac or that fat is a better format
for small files and files that are not in a 1024, or 2048 size.

when i was researching info  on creating a live usb, several sites made
comments about using fat,  but i do not recall now.

you could run a search of 'live usb' and 'fat' at;

    https://ixquick.com/eng/advanced-search.html

to see what it shows.

why ixquick? because they protect your privacy. google does not. see;

     https://ixquick.com/eng/protect-privacy.html

a very good read and should convince you to change also.

> Also for some reason Brasero now does not burn to usb,

neither does k3b. give them time and it will/should be included. tho
i prefer below methods. 1st and 3rd, for sure. much easier and quicker.

> I don't remember how I put the Fedora Iso on the USB.

possibilities;

   liveusb-creator  -  https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/
   unetbootlin      -  http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
   dd if=/path/to/iso of=/dev/usb bs=1024

> Also it seems extremely complicated to create  a CentOS usb
> installation.

do not use centos, stay with fedora or try scientific linux. both have
liveusb-creator in their packaging.

i created both a fedora live usb and a scientific linux while running
scientific linux. both work great.

 > I read that the centos people aren't interested in end user but it seems
 > that end user or non server computers may not have dvd drives for much
 > longer, making centos out of reach of end users.
> Seems like it's out of reach for now.

so drop centos and run fedora and/or scientific linux. you may well
find that scientific linux is very close to current fedora, with the
exception of some new !whiz! !bang! software.

hth.

tc. hago.

.