Fedora vs CentOS -- php/apache and Drupal 7

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Apr 17 02:49:45 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-04-17 at 11:44 +1000, Roger wrote:

> Thank you to all for the very helpful info.
> I have CentOS-6.4-x86_64-minimal.iso downloaded.
> My laptop on which I'll do the first install does not have a
> functioning dvd drive so it has to be usb install.
> I installed Fedora 18 on it this way.
> All the info I'm reading says I have to reformat my usb to a fat
> system, why? Is there any reason CentOS doesn't use ext formatting?
> Also for some reason Brasero now does not burn to usb, I don't
> remember how I put the Fedora Iso on the USB.
> Also it seems extremely complicated to create  a CentOS usb
> installation.
> http://ihazem.wordpress.com/2012/02/12/installing-centos-from-usb/
> I read that the CentOS people aren't interested in end user but it
> seems that end user or non server computers may not have dvd drives
> for much longer, making CentOS out of reach of end users.
> Seems like it's out of reach for now.
> Thanks
> Roger
----
I'm quite sure that you'll find instructions on installing CentOS from a
USB disk on CentOS Wiki - always best to start with the source.

CentOS mail list is quite useful and helpful but not tolerant of
chatter.

Yes, the installation process from a USB flash disk will indeed format
the disk in vfat but that should be of little interest/consequence since
you can wipe it after you are done and format it with any filesystem
that you want.

Craig

believed to be clean.