"hackers"

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Wed Apr 24 08:53:28 UTC 2013

On 04/24/2013 03:42 AM, Richard Vickery wrote:
> Of course, the media are infamous for abusing scientific terms, such as
> calling the Higgs boson the god particle - a term scientists loathe - so
> I out not lose too much sleep over it.

Actually the scientists (inc. prof. Higgs) are not so happy with 'Higgs
boson' as a name either:

I tend to think the 'hacker' vs. 'cracker' distinction is lost to
history in the mainstream today. Among enlightened circles you can still
make the distinction between the terms and be understood.

When communicating with broader audiences I think rigidly sticking to
our preferred definition risks misunderstanding and further confusion
for the listeners.

Regards,
Bryn.