GUI unusable after upgrade from F 17 to F 19

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Aug 1 02:05:37 UTC 2013

On 08/01/13 09:58, Doug wrote:
> On 07/31/2013 09:45 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 07/31/2013 06:15 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>> Do you have an/etc/X11/xorg.conf or a file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/  which specifically defines the drivers in an InputDevice section?   If so, try removing those.
>> I do now, after using the nVidia utility to create one.  The old one
>> didn't, but didn't work, which is why I tried that.  I'll remove the new
>> one, use Xorg -configure as root, and try again.
>>
> This may be too late, but NEVER remove any file unless you know what
> it's supposed to do, or you have replaced it with one that you know
> works. Instead, make a copy--file.bak or file.old or something that
> you can return to if you need to

Actually, I failed to add a word at the end of the sentence as I assumed too much....

If so, try removing those "sections".

FWIW, when using the nVidia drivers all need is....

[egreshko at meimei ~]$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# RPM Fusion - nvidia-xorg.conf
#
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
EndSection

and

[egreshko at meimei ~]$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-nvidia.conf
#This file is provided by xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-304xx
#Do not edit

Section "Files"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/nvidia-304xx/xorg"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

--
Getting tired of non-Fedora discussions and self-serving posts