VirtualBox and the USB flash drive -

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Thu Aug 1 19:47:04 UTC 2013

On 08/01/2013 11:43 AM, Bob Goodwin ~ Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:

> VirtualBox defaults to using the CDROM/DVD drive which is pretty
> worthless unless you have a supply of blanks, I don't have many on hand
> presently. I have been trying to make the USB function work without much
> success.
>
> Googling suggests group/user problems, I have bobg and root listed as
> vboxusers.
> The GUI has a USB menu which is always grayed, where I can create a
> filter, it recognizes the Sandisk flash drive when entered, I click on
> OK and nothing is saved apparently.
>
> Now I've run across something in google that suggests an entry in fstab
> may be required?
>
> Has any one worked through this maze who can tell me how to make it work?
>
> Bob

Uninstall the version you got from the Fedora repos and install the
version from virtualbox.org.  Go to
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads and scroll down to
RPM-based Linux distributions.

Once you've got it installed, go to
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads and download VirtualBox 4.2.16
Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack.  From the Virtual Box GUI, use FILE
-> PREFERENCES to install the extension file you just downloaded.

--
-- Steve