The state of blu-ray burning in linux is terrible

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Thu Aug 1 16:59:19 UTC 2013

Hi,

Richard Shaw wrote:
> cdrecord without was at 6X and cdrskin without at about 4X

Source code and man page of cdrskin indicate that a burn
run on BD-R has a transfer chunk size of 32 KiB if not
- option stream_recording=on is given
- or option dvd_obs=64k is given
- or ./configure option --enable-dvd-obs-64k was given at build time

So the lower performance of cdrskin compared to cdrecord might
come from an unnecessarily high number of SCSI transactions.

I am not aware whether cdrecord uses 64 KiB write transactions
with BD-R. But in any case it seems worth a try to let cdrskin
write with 64 Kib.
So Richard, if i can have a test run with your next regular BD-R
burn ... :)

BTW: How far did you get with playing back your video ?
     (Especially on non-computer players.)

> For now until brasero gets its act together I'll just keep burning
> from the command line.

Yesterday it was announced that Brasero has got a maintainer:
  http://worldofgnome.org/joshua-lock-is-the-new-maintainer-of-brasero/

I posted a greeting and mentioned this mail thread:
  https://mail.gnome.org/archives/brasero-list/2013-August/msg00000.html
It is the first list message since january.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas