The state of blu-ray burning in linux is terrible

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 18:21:03 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Richard Shaw wrote:
> > cdrecord without was at 6X and cdrskin without at about 4X
>
> Source code and man page of cdrskin indicate that a burn
> run on BD-R has a transfer chunk size of 32 KiB if not
> - option stream_recording=on is given
> - or option dvd_obs=64k is given
> - or ./configure option --enable-dvd-obs-64k was given at build time
>
> So the lower performance of cdrskin compared to cdrecord might
> come from an unnecessarily high number of SCSI transactions.
>
> I am not aware whether cdrecord uses 64 KiB write transactions
> with BD-R. But in any case it seems worth a try to let cdrskin
> write with 64 Kib.
> So Richard, if i can have a test run with your next regular BD-R
> burn ... :)

Will do, but I'm not sure when I'll have the need just yet.

BTW: How far did you get with playing back your video ?
>      (Especially on non-computer players.)

No luck yet but I haven't had much time to experiment. I think I've settled
on using ImgBurn under WINE to generate the UDF 2.5 images so I just need
to find a good process for preparing the audio and video.

> > For now until brasero gets its act together I'll just keep burning
> > from the command line.
>
> Yesterday it was announced that Brasero has got a maintainer:
>   http://worldofgnome.org/joshua-lock-is-the-new-maintainer-of-brasero/
>
> I posted a greeting and mentioned this mail thread:
>   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/brasero-list/2013-August/msg00000.html
> It is the first list message since january.

Good news! I hope a lot of improvements are made quickly!

Thanks,
Richard