desktop file location

Bill Oliver vendor at billoblog.com
Fri Aug 2 19:28:49 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2 Aug 2013, g wrote:

> On 08/02/2013 10:36 AM, Bill Oliver wrote:
> <<>>
>
>> I think you may be using some words differently than I do, so let me ask
>> you
>> a couple of quick questions:
>
> i agree, there is a lot of differences between fedora and scientific linux.
> this release, 6.3, is comparable to rhel 6.3, well behind fedora.
>
> as mentioned in 1st post, i did not receive any reply from sl list. a little
> surprising, but, then again, what to expect from a bunch of "nuke heads". ;=)
>

> i should have made it easier all around to prevent confusion and make my
> question more clear, so...
>
> if you will have a look at this url;
>
> http://imageshack.us/content_round.php?page=done&id=4tHclZ6il56ql6TZ0e2YmunS3A
>
> which is from root's desktop, you can see most of what i am referring to
> on upper left of "desktop". in addition, to be more proper, objection of
> question is "desktop folder".
>
> what is missing in snapshot, as it would not continue showing when i opened
> snapshot prog, is the "sidebar" that  appears to right of "desktop folder"
> when one clicks inside "desktop folder".
>

> i hope this clears things and my apologies for stirring up the 'mud'.
>

> in closing, i thank you for your quick response.

OK, what I *think* you are talking about, then is the KDE plasma widget for the desktop folder, called a "folder view."  What you are calling a "sidebar" is, I think, called a "handle" among KDE folk (and I'm not one). What it sounds like is that you have the widget there, but the handle seems to have disappeared so you can't move it or resize it or whatever.

That means it's a KDE issue, not a fedora/scientific linux issue, which is why nobody answered you in the other forum.  You might want to ask in a KDE forum.

I'm not the best person to ask, but here are a couple of thoughts:

There are a couple of reasons that might have happened.  The most common reason for  me is that I have multiple virtual desktops and allow windows to slide between them.  Sometimes when I have a window or widget way off to the side, the handle opens in the other virtual desktop and I don't see it in the virtual desktop I'm in.  The way to fix that is to use keystrokes to grab and move the window farther into the desktop you are using.

You can go into KDE and configure it so that you can use a combination of keystrokes and mouse movements to grab and move windows and widgets.  For me, it's alt-left mouse button.  If you move the window to the middle of the screen, you might see the handle pop up.

The second reason it might happen is that you have set "lock widgets" which will stop people from modifying or moving them around.

So, look at that (I bet it's the second one -- it's easy to accidentally set stuff like that), and if that doesn't work, ask in a KDE forum.

Good luck!

billo