Grub2 problems

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Mon Aug 5 20:58:50 UTC 2013

On 08/03/2013 06:23 AM, Frank issued this missive:
> On 02/08/2013 4:19 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> On 08/02/2013 11:36 AM, Frank issued this missive:
>>> I have been having some minor problems with grub2 lately - grub
>>> is installed in /dev/sda the only HD on this machine.
>>>
>>> When the grub menu comes up after a boot/reboot I cannot select
>>> certain items as the selection bar just skips by them. Usually
>>> I can select them if I start at the bottom and then they will not
>>> be skipped, but others will.
>>>
>>> Another problem which may be related - if I try to edit one of the items
>>> before booting, a get double characters ( like ssiinnggllee). Then it
>>> seems grub ignores what I have typed in. If I add single to the kernel
>>> line it boots like I didn't type in anything.
>>
>> The "single" has to be at the end of the line beginning with the word
>> "linux", then just hit F10 to boot it. Do NOT press "ENTER" before
>> hitting F10. In a nutshell:
>>
>> 1. Use the arrow keys to highlight the kernel you want to modify
>> 2. Press "E" to begin editing that entry
>> 3. Use the arrow keys to scroll down to the line beginning with "linux"
>> 4. Press the "END" key to go to the end of the line
>> 5. Tack on a space and the word "single" (without the quotes) to the end
>> 6. Press F10 to boot the modified entry.
>>
>> I can't speak to the double character stuff.
>>
>        Yes, I know all that - I am not having trouble editing the kernel
> command line.
>
>       I am having trouble with the selection bar skipping entries and
> with the keyboard
> entering double characters.

The entry skipping is probably caused by the same reason you're seeing
double characters...for some reason your keyboard is "bouncing". Can you
try plugging the keyboard into a different USB port, just to see if it's
something weird with the way the port you're using is being handled?
I've seen oddities like that (usually on USB hubs, but I've seen it on
mobo-based stuff too).