F19 install wonked

Les Howell hlhowell at pacbell.net
Tue Aug 6 20:16:06 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-08-06 at 12:37 -0700, Les Howell wrote:
> HELP!!!  I downloaded the F19 live Games DVD image, burnt the disk OK,
> installed OK.  Won't boot.  Mother board is ASUS UEFI system.  Don't get
> Grubby!!
>
> 	Tried using the firmwire boot option to select the disk, no go.  So,
> what steps should I take to try and find this.  I can boot the live DVD
> OK, so tools are available.  How do I get the uefi to boot, and i want
> to make this system dual boot for windows for games.  I know how to set
> up the grub 2 after the work getting my F17 to work, so once I get
> grubby up, I should be able to handle the rest.
>
> Thanks!

After doing some research I tried the efibootmgr -c command.  The system
booted and got to the Grubby prompt and then booted F19.  I then logged
in as the user I had created during the install, and things seemed
right.  But then I clicked on the checkerboard icon to get to a
terminal.  The disk was humming the screen would periodically turn blank
for a few seconds, then reload the base setup for applications showing
only the help icon and this is still the state after several minutes???
I'll try rebooting.

One question I have, though, is if efibootmgr can fix the booting
problem, why isn't this explained during the load process?  And what can
be done to make this a bit more user friendly.  I don't know about most
of you, but reinstalling is something I do a few times a decade, and the
process is changing each time these days, so having the install process
deal with or at least give some indication of the changes would
certainly make this process less onerous.

	I love Fedora, and I have it on three systems (if Pidora counts).  I
use FEL on my system and my wife uses the games on her system as well as
downloading her favorite podcasts, email and web browsing.

	Fedora is a wonderful system of Linux, please make it load as well as
it works otherwise.

	By the way, any help with my current issue, thanks in advance.  No
error messages to show, sorry.