Failed install from KDE live DVD

Robin Laing MeSat at TelusPlanet.net
Wed Aug 7 06:41:32 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-06 23:36, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 08/06/2013 09:43 PM, Robin Laing wrote:
>> Downloaded the full DVD last night and started the install today.  Same
>> partition settings as the Live DVD but it worked.  From a users point of
>> view, I couldn't find any difference between the Live and full DVD for
>> creating and installing.
>
> If you were doing a clean install (except for /home) you should have had
> the option to customize the installation, allowing you to pick and
> choose which programs get installed.  With the Live version, it simply
> transfers an image of what's on the disc giving you everything on it and
> nothing else.  And, of course, with the full DVD, you can use it to
> upgrade an existing copy if that's what you want.

Moving from 15 to 19 is not simple so a clean install was the best
option.  We had the liveDVD, even transferring the version to the
existing partitions would have been better than the nothing.  Once a
working F19 version was running, there is YUM to install the rest.

I don't see any reason why the live DVD cannot install itself on
existing partitions.  That is all I am saying.

Of course the full DVD wouldn't let us use the old / partition.  We had
to delete it and then let the installer re-create it.

Up and running with mainly minor configuration left.

--
Free, full feature astronomy program at
    http://www.stellarium.org

Free Office Suite at