F19 install wonked

Les Howell hlhowell at pacbell.net
Wed Aug 7 18:04:24 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-08-06 at 12:37 -0700, Les Howell wrote:
> HELP!!!  I downloaded the F19 live Games DVD image, burnt the disk OK,
> installed OK.  Won't boot.  Mother board is ASUS UEFI system.  Don't get
> Grubby!!
>
> 	Tried using the firmwire boot option to select the disk, no go.  So,
> what steps should I take to try and find this.  I can boot the live DVD
> OK, so tools are available.  How do I get the uefi to boot, and i want
> to make this system dual boot for windows for games.  I know how to set
> up the grub 2 after the work getting my F17 to work, so once I get
> grubby up, I should be able to handle the rest.
>
> Thanks!

The system is an AMD with 6G ram, and nvidia GE FX-5200.  When I
attempted the install of the nvidia drivers using akmod-nvidia, I
mistyped the command and the numerical description had a space so I got
bare akmod-nvidia.  After several attempts to get to the text prompt,
and an attempt to get nomodeset into the boot script, I gave up and
nuked the installation and started over.  The system is installing again
now.

This is the most difficult installation I have yet had with Fedora,
fraught with issues from not being able to log in, to getting in, but
getting a blank screen, to having the screen go into spasms of blank
then slowly rebuilding the favorites sidebar, but with the mouse cursor
missing or a cursor and no capability to interact, to cursor
interacting, but giving repetitive screen wipes and rebuilds.

Yeah, I know, ditch the Nvidia card, but my computer bucks are a bit
short right now.  Anyway, I am starting over, and will be sure to use
the efibootmgr command, and install the correct akmod-nvidia-173xx
driver.  Does anyone have any additional information that might help?

by the way, even after the efibootmgr -c command, I kept getting the
secure mode disabled message.  There is little joy in the house right
now!!  Mama doesn't have her computer, and I am stymied on getting this
thing up and working.

Any and all help/pointers/etc... appreciated.

I'm posting this message from a computer in another room, so it requires
that I go back and forth to look things up when the new install won't
bring up the internet for looking things up, just another aggravation.