F19 install wonked Solved, no thanks Nvidia

Les Howell hlhowell at pacbell.net
Wed Aug 7 18:30:08 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-08-07 at 11:04 -0700, Les Howell wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-08-06 at 12:37 -0700, Les Howell wrote:
> > HELP!!!  I downloaded the F19 live Games DVD image, burnt the disk OK,
> > installed OK.  Won't boot.  Mother board is ASUS UEFI system.  Don't get
> > Grubby!!
> >
> > 	Tried using the firmwire boot option to select the disk, no go.  So,
> > what steps should I take to try and find this.  I can boot the live DVD
> > OK, so tools are available.  How do I get the uefi to boot, and i want
> > to make this system dual boot for windows for games.  I know how to set
> > up the grub 2 after the work getting my F17 to work, so once I get
> > grubby up, I should be able to handle the rest.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> The system is an AMD with 6G ram, and nvidia GE FX-5200.  When I
> attempted the install of the nvidia drivers using akmod-nvidia, I
> mistyped the command and the numerical description had a space so I got
> bare akmod-nvidia.  After several attempts to get to the text prompt,
> and an attempt to get nomodeset into the boot script, I gave up and
> nuked the installation and started over.  The system is installing again
> now.
>
> This is the most difficult installation I have yet had with Fedora,
> fraught with issues from not being able to log in, to getting in, but
> getting a blank screen, to having the screen go into spasms of blank
> then slowly rebuilding the favorites sidebar, but with the mouse cursor
> missing or a cursor and no capability to interact, to cursor
> interacting, but giving repetitive screen wipes and rebuilds.
>
> Yeah, I know, ditch the Nvidia card, but my computer bucks are a bit
> short right now.  Anyway, I am starting over, and will be sure to use
> the efibootmgr command, and install the correct akmod-nvidia-173xx
> driver.  Does anyone have any additional information that might help?
>
> by the way, even after the efibootmgr -c command, I kept getting the
> secure mode disabled message.  There is little joy in the house right
> now!!  Mama doesn't have her computer, and I am stymied on getting this
> thing up and working.
>
> Any and all help/pointers/etc... appreciated.
>
> I'm posting this message from a computer in another room, so it requires
> that I go back and forth to look things up when the new install won't
> bring up the internet for looking things up, just another aggravation.

Sorry to keep this single thread going, but success has reared its
head... My wife bless her, kept the old card I pulled from one of the
grandson's computers.  It is a radeon 7470.  Put that in and things are
going swimmingly.  I like nvidia.  I wish they and the linux folks could
work out some way of fully supporting their cards with acceleration and
the whole works, directly.  But the Radeon will do the job, so Kudos to
those guys.

     So we can call this solved, at least given a Radeon card.  Too bad,
                                         nvidia, thanks for NOT playing.