F19 install wonked Solved, no thanks Nvidia

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 05:25:34 UTC 2013

On 07.08.2013 20:30, Les Howell wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-08-07 at 11:04 -0700, Les Howell wrote:
>> On Tue, 2013-08-06 at 12:37 -0700, Les Howell wrote:
>>> HELP!!!  I downloaded the F19 live Games DVD image, burnt the disk OK,
>>> installed OK.  Won't boot.  Mother board is ASUS UEFI system.  Don't get
>>> Grubby!!
>>>
>>> 	Tried using the firmwire boot option to select the disk, no go.  So,
>>> what steps should I take to try and find this.  I can boot the live DVD
>>> OK, so tools are available.  How do I get the uefi to boot, and i want
>>> to make this system dual boot for windows for games.  I know how to set
>>> up the grub 2 after the work getting my F17 to work, so once I get
>>> grubby up, I should be able to handle the rest.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>> The system is an AMD with 6G ram, and nvidia GE FX-5200.  When I
>> attempted the install of the nvidia drivers using akmod-nvidia, I
>> mistyped the command and the numerical description had a space so I got
>> bare akmod-nvidia.  After several attempts to get to the text prompt,
>> and an attempt to get nomodeset into the boot script, I gave up and
>> nuked the installation and started over.  The system is installing again
>> now.
>>
>> This is the most difficult installation I have yet had with Fedora,
>> fraught with issues from not being able to log in, to getting in, but
>> getting a blank screen, to having the screen go into spasms of blank
>> then slowly rebuilding the favorites sidebar, but with the mouse cursor
>> missing or a cursor and no capability to interact, to cursor
>> interacting, but giving repetitive screen wipes and rebuilds.
>>
>> Yeah, I know, ditch the Nvidia card, but my computer bucks are a bit
>> short right now.  Anyway, I am starting over, and will be sure to use
>> the efibootmgr command, and install the correct akmod-nvidia-173xx
>> driver.  Does anyone have any additional information that might help?
>>
>> by the way, even after the efibootmgr -c command, I kept getting the
>> secure mode disabled message.  There is little joy in the house right
>> now!!  Mama doesn't have her computer, and I am stymied on getting this
>> thing up and working.
>>
>> Any and all help/pointers/etc... appreciated.
>>
>> I'm posting this message from a computer in another room, so it requires
>> that I go back and forth to look things up when the new install won't
>> bring up the internet for looking things up, just another aggravation.
>>
> Sorry to keep this single thread going, but success has reared its
> head... My wife bless her, kept the old card I pulled from one of the
> grandson's computers.  It is a radeon 7470.  Put that in and things are
> going swimmingly.  I like nvidia.  I wish they and the linux folks could
> work out some way of fully supporting their cards with acceleration and
> the whole works, directly.  But the Radeon will do the job, so Kudos to
> those guys.
>
>      So we can call this solved, at least given a Radeon card.  Too bad,
> [...]

lspci:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]
	Kernel driver in use: nouveau

dmesg:
nouveau  [  DEVICE][0000:01:00.0] Chipset: NV34 (NV34)
nouveau  [  DEVICE][0000:01:00.0] Family : NV30
agpgart-nvidia 0000:00:00.0: AGP 3.0 bridge
agpgart-nvidia 0000:00:00.0: putting AGP V3 device into 8x mode

xrandr:
DVI-I-1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 477mm x 268mm
   1920x1080R     59.9*+

glxinfo:
name of display: :0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
client glx version string: 1.4
client glx extensions:
GLX version: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: nouveau
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on NV34
OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 9.2.0-devel

xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/use_compositing
true

poma

Ref.
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeNames