Re: 3.2Gb over 4Gb

Jacob Wisor gitne at excite.co.jp
Thu Aug 8 09:09:48 UTC 2013

Hello,

"Patrick Dupre"<pdupre at gmx.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I updated my inspiron 9400 (Genuine Intel&#174; CPU T2300 @ 1.66GHz × 2) with

As far as I can tell, the Intel Core Duo T2300 is an x86 (32 bit) processor, so I suppose you are using a 32 bit flavour of Fedora, hence general purpose memory should be properly limited as high physical addresses are usually reserved (in the range 0xC0000000-0xFFFFFFFF) for PCI devices' IO (PAE won't help here). So BIOS' mere approximation of available RAM is vaguely correct because it apperently ends at the 3GB boundry. Some operating systems like Windows strictly reserve this upper 1GB. Others like Linux allow the user to use some memory page "wholes" in the PCI IO address range, but this requires explicit configuration of the kernel at boot time or at compile time. This is a difficult task, even to that extent that it gives troubles to experts.

Long story short, your machine is probably running properly and you won't get anything more out of it.