Can I run two "instances" of apache httpd?

Georgios Petasis petasisg at yahoo.gr
Fri Aug 9 08:03:43 UTC 2013

Hi all,

In my apache configuration, I am using a scripting language (tcl through
apache rivet) which implements a "heavy" application, something that
takes some minutes to start when apache starts a new process.

Is there a way to "separate" these "heavy" apache processes from the
rest of the apache?

I.e. when the url is "/my_heavy_service" redirect the request to the
apache which has the "heavy" application loaded, and the rest of the
requests be handled by an apache with does not even has mod_rivet loaded?

Like starting an apache on a different port (i.e. 8123), which loads my
application, and starting a "normal" apache on port 80, which serves all
requests except some, which are directed to the server in port 8123.

In general I think it can be done (i.e.:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/RunningMultipleApacheInstances),
but is a way to do this in fedora 19, and keep all this "systemctl *
httpd" stuff?

Has anyone attempted this?

George