How to start a vncserver on reboot?

Georgios Petasis petasisg at yahoo.gr
Mon Aug 12 08:48:07 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I cannot manage to get fedora 19 to start a vnc server on reboot.
I have tried various approaches:

a) edit /etc/systemd/system/vncserver@:1.service
It does not work. It kills any vncserver I am running at :1, but *never*
starts a new one.
systemctrl status vncserver@:1.service reports the service as dead, but
without any error message.

b) I wrote a small bash script that starts vncserver at :1, and set a
cronjob on the user. The server runs ok when I run the script from the
terminal (I can see gnome desktop in it), but gnome does not start from
the cronjob. (I have even set a sleep of 30 seconds to delay the start
of the vncserver). The vncserver starts, but it is empty.

Method b worked in fedora 18, but not anymore in fedora 19.

What is the way to start a tiger vnc server at reboot for a user?

Also, how can I enforce gnome "classic"?

George