f19 xfce 32bit system-config-network

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Aug 12 20:51:33 UTC 2013

Hello:

Trying to get a machine up and running on F19 to test it. As the subject
says, 32-bit F19 with Xfce.

I yum installed system-config-network as I have done in past releases
and nothing got added to the Settings -> Administrator pull-downs. I
tried running it directly as root and get what appears to be a "text ui"
version rather than the gui I am used to.

Searching online has just managed to confused me even more. The closest
thing I can see is
"http://www.savelono.com/linux/fedora-15-16-17-18-19-missing-system-config-network-gui-solved.html"
which suggests rebuilding using "-with gui". But since the site claims
the result is "system-config-network-tui-1.6.10-1.fc18.noarch.rpm" and
"tui" sure looks it means "text ui", I am not certain what is being
done. Plus, I never gone to the level of rpmbuild and therefore cannot
tell what is right or wrong.

I wanted to know if anyone knew what happened to the gui for
system-config-network and, if it is gone, what is the new application to
use? Or can someone vouch that the above-mentioned website is a valid
solution (I am giving the author the benefit of the doubt in regards to
good intentions, just want to make sure there isn't a typo or
mis-understanding on my part that I do not know enough to catch)

Thanks in advance,
Paul