Slow initialization of something during boot

Frank beacon at videotron.ca
Thu Aug 15 01:15:10 UTC 2013

On 08/14/2013 08:27 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 08/14/2013 04:55 PM, Frank wrote:
>> Only took a minute..but it didn't solve the problem.
>
> Even cutting down the delay is better than nothing.  After moving from
> F17 to F19 lightdm had a long delay, both in coming up and in getting to
> a responsive desktop after login.  (Only on my laptop, however.)  I got
> this idea from fedorafourm.org, although it came from a bugzilla about
> F19 being slow coming back from suspend, and just happened to work for me.
>
> Just a wild idea, but do you have any peripherals attached at boot that
> might be causing a delay?  If so, see what happens if they're
> disconnected until after boot.

   Already tried that...there's a scanner attached via usb and an
external backup drive...but it gets mounted during the boot and
that happens very quickly. The bizarre thing is I have Debian Jessie
on another partition..almost the identical setup and lightdm comes up
within a few seconds after boot. And if you've been following along, I
installed lxdm on Poma's suggestion and it comes up instantly..but I
don't like the interface. I have even tried lightdm and it's greeter
from fedora 20...with no change. There is something strange going on.