nodejs on Fedora 19

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Thu Aug 15 04:16:57 UTC 2013

<snip>
I yum removed nodejs which removed all v8 s as well then yum installed
nodejs which installed Package v8.x86_64 1:3.14.5.10-1.fc19 Rails
requires nodejs which requires v8.

Huh? A `yum install rubygem-rails` does not drag in nodejs. I'm curious
as to what does; it probably should be using rubygem-execjs instead.

The v8-3.17.6.14-2 package comes from spot's Chromium repository, which
unfortunately conflicts with the v8 in the main Fedora repositories.
Chromium uses much newer versions of v8 that have completely broken the
API relied on by nodejs and binary extension modules [1], so you can't
use chromium and nodejs at the same time. :-( The fact that yum tries to
drag in v8.i686 is a minor packaging bug with nodejs. The easiest way to
work around it is to remove the chromium repo,
</snip>

rubygem-execjs seems to be just a tool that looks for and executes
nodejs and baulks if it doesn't find it.
I don't use chromium, it would not install into my fedora19 so I went
grudgingly for google chrome and Opera instead.

Removed the chromium repo.
I hope it works
Roger