No sound for really old program

Alan Evans ame.fedora at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 15:53:22 UTC 2013

Hi all!

I gave my kid a netbook with Linux on it, and he noticed an ancient (circa
RH6) game on one of my shelves. I told him that he could try to install it,
figuring that there was no chance. But it worked! Except, no sound, which
doesn't surprise me.

Now I do remember years back that there was some sort of wrapper I could
execute old programs in that would allow them to work with the latest (at
the time) sound architecture. But I don't remember what it was called. And
in any case, it probably wouldn't work now either.

Is there such a thing nowadays that will expose old audio hooks to programs
running on modern systems?

-Alan