No sound for really old program

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Wed Aug 14 16:05:02 UTC 2013

On 08/14/2013 04:53 PM, Alan Evans wrote:
> Now I do remember years back that there was some sort of wrapper I could execute
> old programs in that would allow them to work with the latest (at the time)
> sound architecture. But I don't remember what it was called. And in any case, it
> probably wouldn't work now either.

If it's expecting the OSS sound drivers (which'd be about right for RH6)
then you can use the padsp wrapper:

$ padsp $old-program

This will fake up the traditional OSS interface for the process run and
works with most of the ancient things I've tried it with - the main
caveat is that it uses LD_PRELOAD tricks so it won't work with
suid/static binaries.

The man page has more details and options for controlling the interface.

Regards,
Bryn.