Problem with udev and ethX naming in latest Fedora 19.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Thu Aug 15 13:09:06 UTC 2013

On 08/15/2013 12:56 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 15.08.2013 08:11, schrieb Ben Greear:
>> I'm having all sorts of trouble trying to get udev to rename
>> my interfaces based on MAC address.  Please don't suggest
>> I use biosdevname or other such things:  I really do want names
>> to be ethX and I want them in a specific order base on MAC address.
>>

>> [root at localhost ~]# cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
>
> is no longer used

This page claims that it is, and it partially works..it is just
particular about what names you choose for the new names it seems.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

> here you go, but in case of *four* network cards you may
> consider rename them to lan0, lan1, lan2, lan3 to
> avoid the race-condition kernel-naming / renaming which
> is the reason that biosdevname and all this unholy crap
> was introduced instead go away from "eth" as udev-default
> but let it be a option wherever it works
>
> cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> DEVICE=eth0
> HWADDR=24:be:05:1a:c0:27
>
> [root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
> DEVICE=eth1
>
> HWADDR=68:05:ca:0d:62:c1

I have ifcfg-eth0 defined with proper HWADDR, and still that physical port
is not always called eth0 when the system boots.  I do not have the other
NICs defined in ifcfg-ethX files.

Thanks,
Ben

--