Problem with udev and ethX naming in latest Fedora 19.

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Aug 15 13:49:40 UTC 2013

Am 15.08.2013 15:09, schrieb Ben Greear:
> On 08/15/2013 12:56 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>

>> Am 15.08.2013 08:11, schrieb Ben Greear:
>>> I'm having all sorts of trouble trying to get udev to rename
>>> my interfaces based on MAC address.  Please don't suggest
>>> I use biosdevname or other such things:  I really do want names
>>> to be ethX and I want them in a specific order base on MAC address.
>>>

>>> [root at localhost ~]# cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
>>
>> is no longer used
>
> This page claims that it is, and it partially works..it is just
> particular about what names you choose for the new names it seems.
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

*partially*

>> here you go, but in case of *four* network cards you may
>> consider rename them to lan0, lan1, lan2, lan3 to
>> avoid the race-condition kernel-naming / renaming which
>> is the reason that biosdevname and all this unholy crap
>> was introduced instead go away from "eth" as udev-default
>> but let it be a option wherever it works
>>
>> cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>> DEVICE=eth0
>> HWADDR=24:be:05:1a:c0:27
>>
>> [root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
>> DEVICE=eth1
>>
>> HWADDR=68:05:ca:0d:62:c1
>
> I have ifcfg-eth0 defined with proper HWADDR, and still that physical port
> is not always called eth0 when the system boots.  I do not have the other
> NICs defined in ifcfg-ethX files

and you did read what i said?

*consider rename them to lan0, lan1, lan2, lan3 to avoid the race-condition kernel-naming / renaming *

with 4 NIC's this was never predictable and mostly luck
the only stupid thing is that this this new crap names also appear
if there is only one NIC or at least only identical ones with
the same driver what makes race-conditions unlikely