Set default video application -

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 15:24:45 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 10:08:19AM -0400, Bob Goodwin ~ Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:

> How xdg-mime would be used to change this is not obvious to me after reading
> the man page.

It is actually not trivial!  I do not think the mimetype argument to
xdg-mime takes a glob.  This makes it more difficult since now you have
to set the default for each file type.  Here is a simple example:

To find out the mimetype of a file:
  $ xdg-mime query filetype Wait\ until\ dark\ -\ Audrey\ Hepburn.avi
  video/x-msvideo

Now you can set the default like this:
  $ xdg-mime default vlc.desktop video/x-msvideo

As you can see, you have to repeat this for all file types.  It would be
simpler if you could just say 'video/*', but I don't think you can.

If someone knows an easier way to add a class of files in one go, I
would be very interested to know.

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu