Mouse button debouncing

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 19 15:25:54 UTC 2013

grits poc,

> I have a Logitech Bluetooth mouse which I'm fairly sure has a hardware
> problem. The left button frequently issues two click events in rapid
> succession when pressed only once. Is there a way to tell X that two
> such events in under some threshold should count as one? I've Googled
> and other people have had similar problems (not specifically with this
> mouse) but there are no clear answers. I'd rather not have to drop $50
> or so on a new BT mouse.

such if is switch, is because they have move from a 'micro switch corp'
type switch with built in de-bounce to a cheap button top, low profile
switch, which are prone to bouncing after many times of actuation.

i have found that, with any mouse, giving a quick, sharp tap on button
will check them. if bounce is still there, open housing check for bad
solder joints.

if none, then you need to replace switch.

if you are good with a soldering iron, it is not difficult to re flow solder,
or replace it.

if you want software de-bouncing, that used to be under /etc/, but i do not
recall file.

    grep mouse /etc/*

will reveal it if is in your version. such has been renamed and in a diff
location. i do not recall just where.

again, as to version diffs, mouse settings are in sl6, kde;

    system settings

being that my chemo-memory is what it is, i ran this;

   ]$ locate mouse|grep -v dev|grep -v home|grep -v share|grep -v lib|grep -v
    src|more
   /etc/gconf/schemas/desktop_gnome_peripherals_mouse.schemas
   /etc/gconf/schemas/mousetweaks.schemas
   /etc/setuptool.d/99mouseconfig
   /usr/bin/gnome-mouse-properties
   /usr/bin/hal-probe-vmmouse
   /usr/bin/kapplymousetheme
   /usr/bin/kmousetool
   /usr/bin/mousetweaks
   /usr/bin/vmmouse_detect
   ]$

you can see the possibilities. try it on your system.

or hope someone comes up with exact file.

much luck.

--

peace out.

sl6.3 linux