Mouse button debouncing

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Tue Aug 20 01:56:41 UTC 2013

On 08/19/2013 08:54 PM, g wrote:

> hi to poc and all respondents of his thread,
>
> On 08/19/2013 06:36 PM, Tim wrote:
> <>

/snip/

> you all need to do what i did years ago.
>
> i bought a thumb type logitech trackman marble and i have enjoy the critter
> and cursoring ever sense then.
>
> beauty of it is it sits where i put it, and i do not have to keep a place
> cleared to move it around in.
>
> i convinced several friends to spend the little extra for them and they
> have responded with thanks of joy.
>
> the thumb marble later came with a 'scroll wheel' integrated into the
> middle button, which saves your thumb from having to scroll cursor and
> pages.
>
> logitech now has a palm type marble unit. it has a larger ball in center of
> body that works real well.
>
> i own no stock in logitech, but i do wish i had bought some when i bought
> my thumbmarble.
>
> i just now re-check site thru my bookmarks and it appears they no longer
> supply a thumb marble, [so i had to 'past tense' this post] just the palm
> type. i have use such and it works well, but you have to keep your arm
> raised or move marble with your fingers.
>
> this is link;
>
>     http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/trackballs
>
> if you like idea of thumb over palm, the thumb marbles are being sold
> thru ebay. [no stock in them either. :=( ]
>
> hth.
>
> later.

A few thoughts:  One of the designers at my place of employment used a
thumb ball from Logitech, and swore by it, but one time I attempted to
modify a small part of a drawing using that thumb-ball, and it drove
me crazy!  And I am a track-ball user from the get-go. I originally had
a very expensive one, that had three useful buttons--perfect for Linux--
but it eventually wore out, and the replacement was out-of-sight,
price-wise. There was some other tracker for a while, but not very
good--it was mechanical. Then I discovered Kensington. Their Orbit
Optical trackball sells for the same price as the Logitech
unit on the right in the illustration at the website above. I haven't
used the Logitech, but I have 3 of the Kensingtons--one for each
desktop and one for the laptop, which I carry with me if I need the
laptop. BTW, I don't consider the Logitech unit a palm ball--it's a
fingertip ball, like the Kensington.
But if you're into thumb-balls, it looks to me like the wireless unit
pictured on the left is a thumb-ball.
One other thing: I suspect that like the Kensington, the Logitech ball
is not captured, and will fall out if you upset the base. At one
point, I actually thought I had lost the ball! Took some real heavy
searching to find it!

Here's the Kensington link:

http://www.kensington.com/kensington/us/us/s/1444/trackballs.aspx

--doug
--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley