Mouse button debouncing

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Wed Aug 21 09:00:13 UTC 2013

On 20/08/13 18:04, David G. Miller wrote:
> John Pilkington <J.Pilk <at> tesco.net> writes:

>>> Interesting.  I have a USB Logitech mouse that I had assumed was
>>> just "clicked out" becuase it's doing the same thing.  Really tired of
>>> doing things like deleting more than one e-mail at a time because the
>>> mouse is sending multiple button action events for what is supposed to
> be
>>> a single click.  I've also had problems with "drag and drop" type
> actions
>>> (i.e., both a button down and a button up event appear to be sent even
>>> though I'm holding the button down) so just "fixing" the double click
>>> sensetivity isn't the end of your mouse problem.  Replace or, as per
> the
>>> other response, repair it (I'd probably burn the house down if I went
>>> after it with a soldering iron so I'll replace mine).
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Dave
>>>

>> This sounds very much like what I have been seeing recently.  It's
>> almost as if clicks are being fed into a buffer in groups and counted
>> out in groups of a different size; there seems to be something cyclical
>> about it.  I think it started around the time that I installed kde
>> 4.10.5 on f17 immediately before f17 went EOL, in response to a plea for
>> karma from Rex.  Since then I've FedUp-ed to f18 and mouse control is
>> still workable but irritatingly unpredictable.  Gateway USB optical
>> mouse, ~2006.
>>
>> John P
>>
> "Irritatingly unpredictable" is exactly what I was seeing.  It would work
> fine for a while and then switch to ptoducing a random number of button
> events for a given click.  I could even see this if I was attempting
> to "drag and drop" something since the hand icon would litterally open and
> close even though the left button was being continuously held down.  I
> would have to wait until it setlled into a "button down" state before
> dragging whatever it was.  Even then it would sometimes randomly produce
> a "button up" event and the drag would end up someplace other than what I
> wanted.
>
> New mouse installed last night.  Works great.  A click is a click is a
> click....  It's some OEM brand I had never heard of but it was the only
> USB wired mouse that my local Best Buy had.  I usually buy hardware at our
> local Micro Center but that is about 15 miles away and I couldn't see
> going that far just to save a couple of bucks and get their never heard of
> before brnad OEM mouse.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Hmm.  I was surprised to see that most of the responses assumed that the
problem was in the hardware, since I had assumed that I was just seeing
the results of a misconfiguration.  But USB mice are easy to swap and I
have others.  I now have kmousetool running too, and believe that I have
selected its waitforwm option, which seemed relevant because windows had
been maximising and immediately minimising.  Seems more predictable now,
but time will tell.  Now using an MS Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 from a
computer recycling shop :-)

Cheers,

John P