Mouse button debouncing

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Tue Aug 20 17:04:45 UTC 2013

John Pilkington <J.Pilk <at> tesco.net> writes:

> On 19/08/13 21:22, David G. Miller wrote:
> > Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >

> >> I have a Logitech Bluetooth mouse which I'm fairly sure has a hardware
> >> problem. The left button frequently issues two click events in rapid
> >> succession when pressed only once. Is there a way to tell X that two
> >> such events in under some threshold should count as one? I've Googled
> >> and other people have had similar problems (not specifically with this
> >> mouse) but there are no clear answers. I'd rather not have to drop $50
> >> or so on a new BT mouse.
> >>
> >> Using KDE 4.10 under Fedora 19, up to date as of today.
> >>
> >> poc
> >>
> > Interesting.  I have a USB Logitech mouse that I had assumed was
> > just "clicked out" becuase it's doing the same thing.  Really tired of
> > doing things like deleting more than one e-mail at a time because the
> > mouse is sending multiple button action events for what is supposed to
be
> > a single click.  I've also had problems with "drag and drop" type
actions
> > (i.e., both a button down and a button up event appear to be sent even
> > though I'm holding the button down) so just "fixing" the double click
> > sensetivity isn't the end of your mouse problem.  Replace or, as per
the
> > other response, repair it (I'd probably burn the house down if I went
> > after it with a soldering iron so I'll replace mine).
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Dave
> >

> This sounds very much like what I have been seeing recently.  It's
> almost as if clicks are being fed into a buffer in groups and counted
> out in groups of a different size; there seems to be something cyclical
> about it.  I think it started around the time that I installed kde
> 4.10.5 on f17 immediately before f17 went EOL, in response to a plea for
> karma from Rex.  Since then I've FedUp-ed to f18 and mouse control is
> still workable but irritatingly unpredictable.  Gateway USB optical
> mouse, ~2006.
>
> John P

"Irritatingly unpredictable" is exactly what I was seeing.  It would work
fine for a while and then switch to ptoducing a random number of button
events for a given click.  I could even see this if I was attempting
to "drag and drop" something since the hand icon would litterally open and
close even though the left button was being continuously held down.  I
would have to wait until it setlled into a "button down" state before
dragging whatever it was.  Even then it would sometimes randomly produce
a "button up" event and the drag would end up someplace other than what I
wanted.

New mouse installed last night.  Works great.  A click is a click is a
click....  It's some OEM brand I had never heard of but it was the only
USB wired mouse that my local Best Buy had.  I usually buy hardware at our
local Micro Center but that is about 15 miles away and I couldn't see
going that far just to save a couple of bucks and get their never heard of
before brnad OEM mouse.

Cheers,
Dave