Mouse button debouncing

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon Aug 19 22:03:22 UTC 2013

On 19/08/13 21:22, David G. Miller wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> I have a Logitech Bluetooth mouse which I'm fairly sure has a hardware
>> problem. The left button frequently issues two click events in rapid
>> succession when pressed only once. Is there a way to tell X that two
>> such events in under some threshold should count as one? I've Googled
>> and other people have had similar problems (not specifically with this
>> mouse) but there are no clear answers. I'd rather not have to drop $50
>> or so on a new BT mouse.
>>
>> Using KDE 4.10 under Fedora 19, up to date as of today.
>>
>> poc
>>
> Interesting.  I have a USB Logitech mouse that I had assumed was
> just "clicked out" becuase it's doing the same thing.  Really tired of
> doing things like deleting more than one e-mail at a time because the
> mouse is sending multiple button action events for what is supposed to be
> a single click.  I've also had problems with "drag and drop" type actions
> (i.e., both a button down and a button up event appear to be sent even
> though I'm holding the button down) so just "fixing" the double click
> sensetivity isn't the end of your mouse problem.  Replace or, as per the
> other response, repair it (I'd probably burn the house down if I went
> after it with a soldering iron so I'll replace mine).
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

This sounds very much like what I have been seeing recently.  It's
almost as if clicks are being fed into a buffer in groups and counted
out in groups of a different size; there seems to be something cyclical
about it.  I think it started around the time that I installed kde
4.10.5 on f17 immediately before f17 went EOL, in response to a plea for
karma from Rex.  Since then I've FedUp-ed to f18 and mouse control is
still workable but irritatingly unpredictable.  Gateway USB optical
mouse, ~2006.

John P