gpg-agent

Raman Gupta rocketraman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 03:58:29 UTC 2013

On 08/22/2013 11:48 PM, Martin S wrote:
> On Thursday, August 22, 2013 05:16:57 PM Raman Gupta wrote:
>> On 08/22/2013 04:18 PM, Martin S wrote:
>>> As I understand it the file gpg-agent-startup.sh should be placed in
>>> /etc/kde/env and made executable for the gpg-agent to start att boot time?
>>> Agent is also enabled in the ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf
>>>
>>> Running the file manually it starts the agent, but after having booted,
>>> the
>>> gpg-agent isn't started, so it seems the directory/file isn't read at boot
>>> time?
>>>
>>> Where should that file be place to be run at startup?
>>>
>>> /Martin S
>>
>> I would suggest use of "keychain". It will automatically load from
>> /etc/profile.d and will handle your gpg agent as well as other agents
>> like ssh.
>
> I installed keychain, created a file in profile.d which I tested manually (and
> it worked) and then rebooted.

You shouldn't need to create anything in profile.d manually:

# rpm -q --whatprovides /etc/profile.d/keychain.sh
keychain-2.6.8-11.fc19.noarch

> Then
> [mskjoldebrand at dragon ~]$ ps aux | grep gpg-agent
> mskjold+  1491  0.0  0.0 112644   928 pts/1    S+   05:41   0:00 grep --
> color=auto gpg-agent
>
> Hmm gpg-agent isn't there ... still I tried creating a new signed message from
> KMail, and it actually works.
>
> Shouldn't gpg-agent show up in ps aux | grep gpg-agent if it's run from
> profile.d?

Did you create a .keychainrc file with your gpg key ID as specified here:

/usr/share/doc/keychain-2.6.8/README.Fedora

After you do that, and login again, what happens when you type
"keychain" at the prompt? This is what I see:

$ keychain

KeyChain 2.6.8; http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/keychain/
Copyright 2002-2004 Gentoo Foundation; Distributed under the GPL

 * Found existing ssh-agent (4386)
 * Found existing gpg-agent (4651)

and those pid's match my running ssh and gpg agents (which were
started by keychain at login time).

> Or have I worked from outdated gpg-docs, and KMail finds gpg anyway (it didn't
> before) and wasted everyuones time? =(

Not sure about this, I don't use kmail.

Regards,
Raman