MATE desktop

Dave Johansen davejohansen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 20:43:28 UTC 2013

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 11:00 AM, Les Howell <hlhowell at pacbell.net> wrote:
> My wife doesn't like the GNOME3 desktop.  She did like GNOME2, so I have
> found that MATE desktop is a fork of GNOME2.  I have looked at the
> software menu (on x86_64 F19) and see lots of stuff related to MATE.
> What is the key to getting MATE installed and run on a user?  Will the
> GNOME3 version of Evolution, Firefox, etc all run?
>
> If you have installed and used the MATE desktop, please give me your
> opinion.

I couldn't get GNOME3 working with dual monitors on my laptop (
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2013-July/438593.html
), so I gave MATE a try and it worked just fine. It basically felt
just like GNOME2 (which makes sense since is just a fork of it) and I
didn't have any issues with it.

This article ( http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/01/installing-the-mate-and-cinnamon-desktops-on-fedora-18/
) recommends using the net install for "best results" and that
probably is the recommended way to go, but I did it as a post install
addition and it worked just fine.