Best (Fedora) way to capture/archive videos for LATER editing?

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Sun Dec 1 15:36:16 UTC 2013

First of all, please all accept my apologies if I disappeared after
starting this. For several reasons, the whole "project" has gone on
hold, and I... honestly forgot there were messages that deserved an
answer.

On Thu, Nov 07, 2013 14:19:53 PM +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Nov 2013 14:22:58 +0100
> "M. Fioretti" <mfioretti at nexaima.net> wrote:
>
> > What Fedora-compatible video capture hardware should I buy to hook VHS
> > players, Firewire camcorders... to my computer?
>
> For VHS, you want to get a TV card. Lookup "video4linux" documentation
> (usually called v4l) to find out what chipsets are supported by the
> Linux kernel --- before you buy the hardware. Also, in case of TV cards,
> hardware quality is usually proportional to its price.
>
> Another thing that I can recommend is to ask someone else to do it for
> you --- there are professional/commercial mini-studios that can convert
> your VHS to some digital format (usually to DVD), for a small price.
> Typically they own the hardware do it with better quality than you could
> do it yourself.

I started the thread exactly because mini-studios are NOT an option
for us. In my family there are lots of DV and VHS tapes where only 5
minutes, scattered through the whole tape, are worth preserving.
Mini-studios around us would still ask full price for any of those
tapes, with a total cost, I believe, a couple orders of magnitude
bigger than video capture hw and some hacking night

Apart from this, all the other info will surely be valuable when I get
around to actually do it.

Many thanks to Marko and all the others who contributed to this
thread.

	Marco
--

M. Fioretti http://mfioretti.com                   http://stop.zona-m.net