How to install DVD version from iso on hard drive -

David dgboles at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 13:34:36 UTC 2013

On 12/6/2013 12:46 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2013, at 8:41 PM, David <dgboles at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> A Live-CD (DVD) will, all that I know of, *always* over write an
>> existing install.
>
> That's definitely not the default behavior with the Fedora installer since Fedora 18. With Fedora 17 and older, the default option was to replace existing Linux, and it was plainly marked with other options described on the same window.
>
>> That I know of anyway, They are a 'write this to the
>> disk' system. It has been a long time but I (me!) do not know of a
>> Live-CD that does disk partitioning.
>
> On Fedora, the same installer is used for live desktop and DVD installs. It has the same partitioning functionality in either case.
>
> The older installer for live installs was limited to rootfs being ext4 because the live file system was imaged to the target partition or LV, and then resized as a post install operation. That hasn't been the case since F18's installer, which uses rsync for live installs, and will install to whatever file system and layout that the installer supports (which is the same as for DVD and netinstall images).
>

>> Now you mentioned Windows. *If* you have Windows install you need to
>> 'shrink' the Windows section and make a place for the Linux to be installed.
>>
>> If you have Win 7 it has a disk partitioning program to do that
>> included. Else you will have to use something else.
>
> Fedora 19 and 20 support [1] resizing NTFS volumes in both the guided and custom partitioning paths. In Fedora 18 my recollection was that the guided path had no UI for choosing how much to shrink the volume by. Whereas the UI in F19 and F20 is much more obvious in the guided path, with a shrink button that reveals a slider to choose the shrink amount.
>
> In custom partitioning, when you click on the NTFS volume, there's no obvious UI for resizing, but the volume size field can be edited. Click on that, and enter a smaller value, and this will cause free space to be made available from which you can specify new mount points for a new installation.
>
> In all cases with the new installer UI, all layout changes merely create an edit list. Nothing is changed on disk until you click the Begin Installation button from the hub (the main menu).
>
> Chris Murphy
>

> [1] This is a best effort support case, as the installer doesn't actually do the resizing, it's done via the NTFS-3G. But it is a test case for Fedora QA so it does get some testing and ought to work.

That is a real improvement. I have looked at several Live-CD/DVDs but I
can not ever recall installing one. I, personally, prefer fresh
installs. I find is much easier to reconfigure a few things than to find
and repair some odd-ball problem casued by a mixture of old and new
settings.

Maybe it's just me but I prefer to *use* my Linux install(s) than to
constantly be *fixing* them.  :-)
--

  David