auto-mounting removable drives

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 03:41:41 UTC 2013

On 09.12.2013 22:11, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> On 12/9/13 8:15 AM, poma wrote:
>> On 09.12.2013 05:07, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> I am running F19 xfce on a 32bit box (fully updated at the time of this
>>> test)
>>>
>>> I have "Applications Menu -> Settings -> Removable Drives and Media" open
>>>
>>> Under "Removable Storage":
>>>       [checked] Mount removable drives when hot-plugged
>>>       [checked] Mount removable drives when inserted
>>>       [checked] Browse removable media when inserted
>>>       [not checked] Auto-run programs on new drives and media
>>>       [not checked] Auto-open files on new drives and media
>>>
>>> Nothing else is checked on this or all the other tabs.
>>>
>>> Whether I hot-plug a memory stick into the computer or plug it in before
>>> powering on, it never mounts the volume until I manually go to the icon
>>> on the desktop and tell it to "please go mount yourself"
>>>
>>> Am I not understanding the options under "Settings -> Removable Storage"?
>>>
>>> I first encountered this in F16 under xfce but figured I wasn't
>>> understanding something as I had just switched from F14 gnome where I
>>> could hot-plug
>>>
>>> I have three Linux boxes and it doesn't auto mount on any of them, so I
>>> am not thinking it is a hardware problem to a particular machine.
>>>
>>> This also happens with cd/dvd when inserted ... have to manually "please
>>> go mount yourself" (and, yes, the phraseology is intentional as I am
>>> rather frustrated by this)
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for any advice
>>> Paul
>>>
>> http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/preferences#advanced_preferences
>> - Volume Management
>> $ xfconf-query -c thunar -p /misc-volume-management
>> $ xfconf-query -c thunar -p /misc-volume-management -s true
>>

>> poma
>>

> Poma:
>
> Thanks for reply.
>
> Volume management is checked on as the link you provided shows
>
> Running the command "xfconf-query -c thunar -p /misc-volume-management"
> returns the following:
>
> Property "misc-volume-management" does not exist on channel "thunar".
>
> The package thunar-volman is already installed on my machine (0.8.0-4.fc19).
>
> The only other thing I can spot in your link is reference to HAL. When I
> hunt around to find out information, I come across the following on the
> xfce site for thunar-volman: " HAL is undergoing deprecation at the
> moment. All major distributions push for the removal of HAL in favor of
> DeviceKit-disks/udisk, DeviceKit-power/upower and udev"
> (http://wiki.xfce.org/dev/thunar-volman-udev). Everything I can see on
> this implies the transition as 2009 to 2010 range.

:)
The requirement part is outdated, anyway the emphasis was on
http://docs.xfce.org/_media/xfce/thunar/preferences-advanced.png
$ grep Required -A13 /usr/share/doc/thunar-volman-0.8.0/README

> The other response from Dale suggested that I take it to the xfce
> general discussion site (which I intend to do after seeing if I get any
> more info here).
>
> Any suggestions on what I should be looking for to better understand the
> problem?

Just play with it.
i.e. Re-enable Volume Managment(checkbox)
or "Create a new property if it does not already exist"[1],
$ xfconf-query -c thunar -p /misc-volume-management -n -t bool -s true

poma

[1] $ xfconf-query -h