F20: /etc/default/grub missing.

Erik P. Olsen epodata at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 21:48:55 UTC 2013

On 21/12/13 21:53, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2013, at 12:38 PM, "Erik P. Olsen" <epodata at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I forget if it's still possible to disable the install boot loader feature on UEFI. It's a meaningless option, except that /etc/default/grub will not be created. grub2-efi is still installed, shim.efi is still installed, and you do in fact still get a boot loader installed on UEFI systems regardless of this option. And I think there's a RHBZ on this issue also, but I don't know if that's been implemented in F20.
>>>

>> I don't think there is an option to disable boot loader feature (or rather I haven't found it :-)
>
> Installation Destination, bottom page click on Full disk summary and bootloader, you get this dialog:
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3253801/ssanacondanobootldr.png
>
> Click on the device, then click button Do not installer bootloader.

I never saw this. It said just "Set as boot device" and I never clicked on the
device, just closed the window and "Done".

>> The bios of my system is uefi capable but I have disabled it.
>
> It's the manufacturer's confusing us royally, and unnecessarily. Your computer is UEFI it has no BIOS really. The option to disable UEFI in the interface actually *enables a CSM, an EFI Compatibility Support Module. It presents a BIOS interface for the operating system and it's a legacy feature meant to support operating systems that don't understand UEFI firmware. It's kinda like BIOS emulation. But the computer is UEFI and it can't be disabled, unlike what the UI suggests.
>
> You're almost certainly better off having installed Fedora with UEFI "enabled" which means CSM disabled. But if it's working I'd probably leave it alone, unless it's a laptop that you regularly use as a mobile (not plugged into power) device.

Thanks for the insight into this matter. It is actually a laptop that I use as
mobile device. Why is it that UEFI "enabled" is better in this situation? Power?

>> Anyhow my last F20 build did produce /etc/default/grup even though I didn't make any change to the installation procedure. But I did use netinst so some changes may have come in this way.
>
> It would be good to track this down if you can reproduce it. Save the /tmp/program.log from the install environment, or the /var/log/anaconda.program.log from the post-installed system, it might give a hint why this wasn't created.

I doubt that I can reproduce it now that it apparently works. But I'll try a few
system build to see if I can.

--
Erik