Gnome login hangs F20 after fedup upgrade

David Highley dhighley at highley-recommended.com
Sat Dec 21 21:50:43 UTC 2013

"Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:"

> On 21.12.2013 20:40, David Highley wrote:
> > We upgraded a test system to Fedora 20 using the fedup process. There
> > were 60 packages that were left from Fedora 19 after the upgrade that
> > were subsequently fixed by doing a yum distro-sync. Since the upgrade we
> > are not able to login into a Gnome session. We select the user in the
> > greater and it prompts for the pass word. After that it goes to the
> > grayed background and hangs leaving the user session in a hung state
> > where you have cursor control but the session setup does not get to the
> > point where you can select anything.
> >
> > We have checked the logs and see nothing in the logs that indicate an
> > issue. The other change noticed is the monitor never goes to sleep when
> > the greater screen is active.
> >

> Does systemctl restart gdm.service from text shell help you restore
> system responsiveness? It might be some problem with gnome-shell or
> Xorg, I'm facing similar behavior from time to time on fresh installation.

Same recovery as doing init 3 init 5 you get back to the Gnome greater
screen with the session ended. We have looked at the Xorg log files and
see nothing wrong in them. Our case is not intermittent. We have tried
both VGA and HDMI connections and get the same results. We have also
reviewed dmesg and the /var/log/message log files. Nothing seems to get
logged. We have checked for selinux avc issues and tried login in
selinux Permissive mode. Second check just now indicates that a
systemctl restart gdm.service gets us back to the Gnome greater screen
but then we were not able to select a user for login.