Απάντ.: f20 - Anyone else having problems installing x64

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Mon Dec 23 17:35:41 UTC 2013

On 12/21/2013 11:04 PM, Kostas Sfakiotakis issued this missive:
> Hi, back in the early days of CDR media, we used to consider some drives
> even incompatible with certain colors. It was a long time ago so if I
> recall the dark blue ones were the best choose and the silver the worst.
> Where did your elephant memory recalled that ?? It should have remained
> in a small drawer in the smallest corner of your brain. Am not sure
> though brands (  HP, TDK,...) have to do with it, I used to use many of
> them , just the color.

Ah, Kostas! Yes, I dusted the cobwebs from the deepest part of my memory
to find that bit about the color of the CD-Rs, but color can still play
a part in DVD compatibility. DVD drives are just as sensitive to the
laser color and reflectivity of the disk. In addition, there are DVD
drives that are compatible with DVD-R(W) media but NOT DVD+R(W) media
and vice versa.

As far as branding is concerned, there are a limited number of makers of
the media and that product is generally purchased and rebranded by the
major players. However, I find that going with one of the "big labels"
gives one a better chance at getting reliable media. I've had very good
luck compatibility-wise with TDK's DVD-R media and both of HP's DVD-R
and DVD+R. Keep in mind we have some pretty funky old systems laying
about here and it can be a challenge to get media to read on some of
them.

> On 12/20/2013 11:26 AM, Tim issued this missive:
>  > Allegedly, on or about 20 December 2013, Gregory P. Ennis sent:
>  >> The first DVD was created on a different laptop, and it failed on the
>  >> Gateway, but worked on the laptop it had been created on.  The Gateway
>  >> machine still had Centos on it so I created another DVD using it, and
>  >> had no problems booting and installing F20.
>  >>
>  >> I have never had a mismatch of DVD drives before, so this was
>  >> unexpected, at least by me.
>  >
>  > Cheap blank discs?  (Not always very compatible with drives.)
>  > Burnt the disc at maximum speed?  (Not always the best option.)
>
> Also check the color of the disk media. Sometimes the color of the
> media screws up the wavelength of the reflected laser so it doesn't
> register correctly. We've had problems with that using cheap DVD-Rs
> (we stick with TDK or HP now). It was a huge problem back in the early
> days of CD-R media.
-    "Hello. My PID is Inigo Montoya.  You `kill -9'-ed my parent    -
-                     process.  Prepare to vi."                      -