gnome-terminal in F20 defaults to / for the initial directory

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 14:42:22 UTC 2013

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 09:28:43 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> > > 3.10 runs from /. Just guessing that this is really nautilus's bug. I think
> > > a good argument can be made for nautilus to reset to $HOME after forking
> > off
> > > a child process for a launched application, if it's running from /.
> >
> > Too much speculation. It's good that you can show that it does that for
> > your machine, but more interesting would be to find out why/when it does
> > that.
>
> It is not user-specific configuration. This occurs for newly-created users
> too. I have not done anything to nautilus, I don't even know where its
> configuration settings are.

It doesn't need to be a change in a config file. The machine setup
(partitioning, permissions of /home, for instance) could influence runtime
behaviour, too.

It may not even be a bug in Nautilus either, since other components take
care of stopping/starting it (e.g. gnome-tweak-tool and gnome-shell).

What happens if you kill all "nautilus" processes, then start a terminal
(e.g. gnome-terminal) in a way that it starts in $HOME, then run
"nautilus --no-default-window" manually? Does it also cwd to /? Or does
it stay in $HOME? (you can also run it without options just in case)