F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 21:20:56 UTC 2013

Hi

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Lars E. Pettersson wrote:

> On 12/31/2013 08:37 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> That would be a lousy bet really. You can be aligning yourself with more
>> technical users.
>>

> On a similar note. What do you base your opinion on?

Dozens and dozens of Linux conferences, locally and internationally.  About
10 years of experience as a active Fedora contributor and I deal with
regular users all the time answering thousands of questions over that
period here, in ask.fedoraproject.org and fedoraforum.org among others.

> (Some of them have been "technical users", but by no means all)
>

>  Regular uses probably have never heard of /etc/aliases
>> at all and certainly don't read root mail at all.
>>

> If a user can read about journalctl and find information about how to use
> that, he/she could equally well do the same thing regarding /etc/aliases
> and reading root mail. (Remember that I proposed that /etc/aliases should
> be setup at install time of Fedora, so that would already be in place,
> following my proposal

Your proposal is irrelevant when we are talking about current reality.
journalctl is not a requirement to read logs.  It is just far more easier
than grepping through /var/log/messages for the common use cases.  As I
mentioned before desktop environment have graphical utilities to read log
files.  gnome-system-log for /var/log/messages for example.

GNOME is also getting a systemd specific log viewer as well

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-announce-list/2013-September/msg00097.html

Other similar utilities are available for other DE's as well.    If it is
important, the DE should notify the user proactively and not wait on them
to read some log file

Rahul