F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Tue Dec 31 21:36:16 UTC 2013

On 12/31/2013 01:20 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Your proposal is irrelevant when we are talking about current reality.
> journalctl is not a requirement to read logs. It is just far more easier
> than grepping through /var/log/messages for the common use cases.

Not always.  As an example, I'm getting error messages at boot time on
my laptop about [sdb] even though there isn't one.  Locating them with
journalctl would require me to know exactly what field to look for,
instead of just doing this as root:

cat /var/log/messages | grep [sdb]

Of course, if you do know the field name, such as when you're looking
for messages from a service started at boot by systemd, journalctl may
well be your best bet.  It all depends on what you're looking for and
what info you already have.