Writing Music to a DVD instead of CD

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Feb 1 20:58:48 UTC 2013

Jim wrote:
> Fedora 17
>
> How can I write  a Music format to a DVD instead of CD .
>
> I have to many Songs to write a CD.
>
> Can K3B or Brasero  do the job

Sorry, this is going to be a long answer, which you probably won't like.

First, what are you going to use to play this disk? Do you have a player which
will work with this? If not, you have your answer, you need not use audio-CD
format, because it buys you nothing. I'm less sure what you do want, it depends
on the available playback capabilities, but audio-CD is probably your best choice.

The audio-CD uses CD mode "ROM XA mode 2 form 1" (from memory). I don't think
that mode is supported for DVD, so you may be trying to do something not supported.

In any case proper CD format uses an audio file per track, and a text "info"
file which describes the title, performer, and lots of other stuff you want if
you are trying to do it right. I believe you are not goinf to find a player for
this, but it's your question.

Alternatives: You can put a lot of MP3 files on a DVD, and there are a bunch of
tools to add the information like artist, title and album name to the track.
There are a number of Linux programs to play a DVD in that format (or Blue-Ray,
I have a burner), most of which will fail the Fedora purity of license and
algorithm test and are not included in Fedora.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>