"Install Updates & Restart" on a laptop

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Feb 3 19:34:55 UTC 2013

Rahul Sundaram writes:

> « HTML content follows »
>
> Hi
>

> On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 8:00 AM, Sam Varshavchik  wrote:
>
> > What PackageKit GUI would that be? I'm unable to find any PackageKit GUI in
> F18. After updating F17 to F18, the software update >app was removed.
>

> That isn't true.  gpk-update-viewer still is there as well as apper, the KDE
> equivalent

Strange – using Gnome search, I couldn't find it any more. Now, I thought
that this is how the usability experts think is the most efficient way to
launch an application these days: open Gnome application menu, by slamming
the mouse into the right hand corner, then abandon the mouse, and start
typing the app's name using the keyboard. Really, it's so intuitive. But,
anyway, I eventually got used to it.

I got used to typing 'update' to bring it up. Now, nothing comes up.

I do see that its desktop file has 'nodisplay=true'. Removing that, restores
'software update' as a searchable app.

I'm almost afraid to ask WTF was that about, and whose bright idea it was.