"Install Updates & Restart" on a laptop

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 19:47:32 UTC 2013

Hi

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com>wrote:

Strange – using Gnome search, I couldn't find it any more. Now, I thought
> that this is how the usability experts think is the most efficient way to
> launch an application these days: open Gnome application menu, by slamming
> the mouse into the right hand corner, then abandon the mouse, and start
> typing the app's name using the keyboard. Really, it's so intuitive. But,
> anyway, I eventually got used to it.

https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet

There is an easier way if you are just using the keyboard.  press the
system or "windows" key and start typing the application name (you don't
have to focus).  I personally use synapse which makes searching for docs
etc easier although the next version of GNOME is supposed to have
integrated search.

I do see that its desktop file has 'nodisplay=true'. Removing that,
> restores 'software update' as a searchable app.
>
> I'm almost afraid to ask WTF was that about, and whose bright idea it was.

Probably to encourage one obvious method of updating but the alternative
(slightly hidden)method is still there for those who want it.

Rahul