Custom Partition Fedora 18

jonc jonc at downfromthetrees.com
Mon Feb 18 21:24:11 UTC 2013

On 02/18/2013 03:48 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 02/18/2013 12:26 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
>> Nope, I think someone is paying a con-man to sucker the designers
>> into producing the worst imaginable interface (it is the only
>> theory I can come up with to adequately explain the result :-). More
>> of a pied piper effect than astroturf.
>
> Now, now, let's be fair.  We all know that there are people out there
> who actually like the new interface.  My personal theory is that
> there's a small but vocal minority out there who honestly believe that
> this is The Way Of The Future and have persuaded the Gnome devs that
> Gnome users in general prefer things this way. Not a conspiracy as
> such, just a group of users who can't accept the fact that not
> everybody likes the same things as they do.

That strikes me as rather fanciful.  Isn't it the case that people are
upset not because other people like Gnome 3, but because Gnome 2
development ended?

Not that it matters, and no one is paying me, here's why I'm using Gnome
Shell on Fedora 18, after rejecting it previously:

1.  It's fast and reliable.
2. I like the way it looks.  Simple, stark, readable.  No bright, shiny
game-esque distractions.
3. I like docks more than panels.  If I have one I don't need the other,
but I'd rather use a dock.
4. I like Gnome Shell's dynamic work space creation and destruction. I
can't be bothered to open and close them myself.
5. I don't like the hot corner, on Gnome Shell, on Cinnamon, on Compiz.
(I don't like Compiz, period.)
6. I don't like the Dash being a part of the Overview.
7. Remove Dash from Overview?  Done.
8. Turn Dash into a legitimate dock? Done.
9. Navigate work spaces from dock? Done.
10. Quit apps from dock? Done.
11. Move between multiple instances of the same app via the dock? Done.
12. Access multiple windows of an app from the dock? Done?
13. Turn off hot corner? Done?
14.  The only applet I used in Gnome 2 was the weather applet.  Got one
here, too.
15. Usually use a terminal to manage files, so my Files/Nautilus still
has an "open terminal" option.

It's not that I don't like Gnome 2, and I don't begrudge anyone who
wants to use it, or MATE. Or anything else.  But, I like using Gnome
Shell for legitimate reasons, not because I'm a member of a harping
minority ranting about some imaginary "Way of the Future" who has been
led astray by pied pipers.

It's all FOSS, and FOSS was created and exists to serve developers.