FC18 Installer is Garbage

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Feb 20 18:11:48 UTC 2013

On 02/20/2013 06:28 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> After a month of asking how to get dual boot working, on this list,
> another support list, in chat rooms, I have not had ONE SINGLE PERSON
> tell me that they installed FC18 and it found their other OS installs on
> that system, much less offered a hint how to get the other OS booted. I
> sadly conclude that Fedora has followed the Windows route and doesn't
> recognize other OS.
Well, may-be you're asking the wrong questions?

At least I don't understand what you are asking.

All I can say, I have several multi-boot installations working,
comprising Fedora (17, 18), openSUSE, Ubuntu and Win8.

What I did not do, was to install F18 from scratch - I upgraded a
preexisting F17 installation to F18.

> Tried with XP, or Win7, or BSD, or FC17, all having their own
> partition(s). None worked, none were recognized, pasting grub2 stanzas
> from previous working OS failed to boot completely.
Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Are you trying to utilize one single /boot partition with one single
grub for a multiboot setup? From my experience, this has never actually
worked. My trick to circumvent this is to use cascaded grubs
(chain-loading OSes).

Ralf