Custom Partition Fedora 18

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Thu Feb 21 17:31:08 UTC 2013

On 21/02/2013 16:17, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-02-20 at 11:12 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> Back in the early days, programmers spent the time and effort to
>> optimize their code because time is money and RAM was expensive.
>
> And not there...  On many personal computers, the limit to what you
> could put into the computer could be quite low.  Even on fairly recent
> ones.  I was given a 3 GHz 64 bit box that you can only put two one gig
> memory sticks in.  A very short sighted design.

Yeah, tell me about it. Even relatively recent Intel chipsets (e.g.
X38/X48) only supported up to 8GB of RAM. Slightly earlier chipsets for
the Core2 only supported up to 4GB, of which you only usually got 3.5GB
(I have such a machine here). So much for the 64-bitness bringing the
benefits of lots of RAM...

Gordan