running a namecaching server on my notebook?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Feb 26 15:14:17 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 10:04:20 -0500,
   Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>I am upgrading my DNS server and observing all the traffic on it. My
>notebook's queries resulting from web access is a frequent occurance.
>
>Does it make sense to run a namecaching service on a notebook?  Many
>websites I hit multiple times per day, let alone system boot.
>
>Any downsides?  Particularly when I am roaming Wifi connections?
>Perhaps would be best to flush my DNS cache everytime I go to a
>different connection?

Running a caching resolver isolates you from bad ISP name service. (Except
for the ones that set up hidden DNS proxies.) This is normally a good thing,
but can cause problems for places that use captive portals in order to
use wireless. They use incorrect DNS info to get you to browse their
portal in order to authenticate and/or have you agree to a TOS.

You could also run a cache that doesn't resolve.