F18 freeze

Michael Eager eager at eagercon.com
Tue Feb 26 16:39:39 UTC 2013

I'm having periodic freezes of F18.  The freezes happen when
I click on a link.  Usually this is in a Thunderbird window,
but I've seen one freeze when clicking on a desktop icon.  The
system will work for a day or several days between freezes.

When it freezes, the screen is frozen, mouse is unresponsive,
and any sound which was playing repeats.  I can ping the system,
but SSH does not respond.  The system logs show nothing.

I recently upgraded the system from F15 using Nvidia drivers to
F18 with nouveau driver.  Power management is turned off.

I've searched online and find some suggestion that there is
a problem with X and the nouveau driver.   Other suggestions
about overheating or other hardware problems are unlikely.

Any suggestions?

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077