laptops with 1200 vertical resolution - went off topic about out-of-date computer systems

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jan 6 07:07:33 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-01-05 at 14:51 -0500, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> Wow Tim,  You're still running FC9 on an internet connected device?  I
> can understand why you don't accept email.

That's not the reason...  ;-)  That's an anti-spam technique.  From over
a decade of participating in public forums, on various transports, I
know that any published email address that can receive mail receives a
deluge of spam.  By auto-deleting *ALL* mail on that address, but
reading mail received at another, kept private, address.  I don't have
to deal with the spam.  I don't have to use a spam filter, which
frequently gets it wrong (marking ham as spam, or spam as ham), meaning
that you either lose mail, or have to check the spam mailbox so much
that there's no point using spam filtering.  I don't look at the mailbox
for the public address, I just have a filter delete all mail going into
it, unless it contains a certain magic word.  I only look at the
unpublished address, which receive no spam, at all.

As far as Fedora 9 goes, it's the last release of Fedora that I actually
like, *and* runs well on this hardware (a laptop, and on low spec
desktop computer).  Fedora 11 is the last version that I've tried on the
laptop that runs well, but I don't really like it.  And it's a major
pain to update an OS and keep data (backups, restores, fiddly installs
trying not to delete data, or the disastrously risky and messy to
clean-up afterwards "upgrade over the top").  On this laptop, Fedora 9
works how I want it to, and so does the software I'm using with it.
There really is no need to change it, until web browser
incompatibilities become too extreme.  It's about the only thing that
really forces obsolescence, the Fedora 9 software I'm using seems to be
fairly stable and bug free, as far as any software goes.

On other computers, that I don't normally post on, I'm using newer
releases.  You'll occasionally see a post from Fedora 17, from me.  And,
more rarely, Ubuntu.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686